Choosing to wear white sneakers can be very advantageous when it comes to fashion because it surely does fit almost any outfit! Especially if you’re always out and walking around, you would be bothered about your white vans getting all sorts of dirt and stains. Don’t worry, we will be helping you out on how to clean white vans in the easiest ways possible!
If you’re also dealing with super dirty and stained vans, we can help you restore it not exactly the same way like you bought it – but almost new! We will also be tackling how to clean various types of white vans like suede, canvas, and leather. So, let’s get started!
Ways to Clean White Canvas Vans
White canvas Vans are the most prone to dirt since they easily absorb water, and any other types of liquid. Here are our best recommendations on how to clean white canvas vans:
Bleach is one of the most common household items that you can use to clean your canvas Vans. But you have to be careful when using bleach because undiluted bleach can make your white Vans turn yellow. You have to choose dye-free bleach to clean your sneakers. Also, you have to clean your shoes in a well-ventilated area to prevent any harm to your health.
Follow these steps on how to clean your Vans using bleach:
- In one bowl, combine 1 part of bleach with 4 parts of water.
- Get an old toothbrush or a regular brush to scrub the solution on your shoes.
- Rinse the shoes well using a clean wet towel to remove excess solution.
- After you have removed almost all of the stains, cover the shoes with paper towels or tissue paper and air dry them. Do not put the shoes under direct sunlight.
Hydrogen peroxide and Baking Soda Solution
Here’s how to use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda solution to clean your white canvas Vans:
- In a bowl, mix together 1 part of hydrogen peroxide and 2 parts of baking soda.
- Get an old toothbrush or a regular brush to scrub off the dirt on your shoes.
- After all the dirt has come off, apply more paste on the shoes and fully coat them. Put the shoes under direct sunlight until the paste has hardened and dried off.
- Remove the paste by scrubbing them off using a dull knife or a spoon.
- Use a clean wet cloth to rinse off the extra paste on your shoes.
- Put some paper towels inside your shoes and let them completely air dry with indirect sunlight.
Dishwashing Liquid or Detergent
Dishwashing liquid and detergent are also two effective ingredients on how to remove stains on your white canvas Vans.
Check out these procedures on how to use these household items to make your white Vans squeaky clean:
- Using ¼ cup of dishwashing liquid or detergent or 3-4 tablespoons of dishwashing soap, mix them with 2 cups of warm water.
- Get an old toothbrush or a regular brush to scrub your white Vans with the solution until all dirt has been removed.
- Also get a clean bowl so you can rinse your brush in between dipping so you can keep your detergent solution clean.
- Get a clean towel to rinse off the white Vans.
- Put some tissue or paper towels inside and outside of your shoes and air dry them in a warm area.
Ways to Clean White Suede Vans
Make your old white suede Vans look whiter than ever using these household products that you can easily find in the market.
You can find suede shoe cleaners on Amazon or your local store nearby. Suede cleaners helps clean your suede Vans easily without damaging it off. Here’s our top pick for a suede shoe cleaner:
GEAR AID Revivex Suede, Nubuck and Fabric Boot and Shoe Care Kit
The GEAR AID Revivex Suede, Nubuck and Fabric Boot and Shoe Care Kit is an all-in-one solution for your dirty suede Vans problem. This kit protects your shoes while keeping them looking new as always.
Aside from cleaning your shoes, this shoe care kit also maximizes the breathability and waterproof features of your shoes. With this care kit, you can have a suede cleaner, a water repellent spray, boot brush, and an eraser.
With only white vinegar, you can also make your white suede vans look prettier than ever! Check out how to use white vinegar on your favorite Vans.
- Get a bowl of white vinegar and prepare your white suede Vans.
- Erase the stains of your sneakers with a pink pencil eraser that you can find at home.
- Use a clean cloth to rub off the stains on your shoes using the white vinegar that you prepared.
- Continue rubbing the stains off your shoes until there is no dirt left.
- Wipe off the excess white vinegar using a clean cloth.
- Put some tissue and let the shoes air dry away from direct sunlight.
- When the shoes are all dried up, get a suede brush on your shoes to bring back the suede texture of your favorite sneakers.
Ways to Clean White Leather Vans
As for white leather Vans, it is highly recommended that you wash them by hand. They are not supposed to be put on a washing machine. But don’t worry, we have some highly reputable cleaning methods for you!
Nikwax are commonly used for waterproofing shoes, clothing, and other equipment. It is also perfect to be used for your white leather Vans to keep its quality and aesthetic qualities. Take a look at our top choice for Nikwax:
Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather
You can easily restore your Vans’ water repellency properties using this Nikwax Waterproofing Wax. It can work immediately as soon as you apply the wax on your shoes. This product promises not to the leather of your Vans.
This product is also made from water-based products and is also biodegradable, just perfect for sustaining our Earth! It also has no PFCs, VOCs, optical brighteners, and even no added scents!
Here’s how you can use your Nikwax for cleaning your white leather Vans:
- Get an old toothbrush or a shoe brush to remove the grime and dirt on the surface of your shoes.
- Use the Nikwax Cleaner and a synthetic brush to clean your white leather Vans.
- After your Vans have been cleaned, you can use the Nikwax Waterproofing Wax for Leather to restore the water repelling properties. Just make sure that the shoes are dried before you apply the product.
- Air dry the shoes away from direct sunlight after applying the wax.
If you have extra baking soda at home, you can definitely use it to restore your white leather Vans! Here’s the easiest method that you can use baking soda for cleaning:
- Get one part of baking soda and mix it with two parts of water and mix them together until it creates a paste.
- Use a clean cloth and apply some paste on your shoes. Scrub off the stained and scuffed areas of the shoes.
- Rub more paste as necessary until your shoes are all white again.
- Get some paper towels and stuff them on the insides and outside of your shoes to absorb the moisture.
- Air dry your shoes away from direct sunlight.
- Apply some leather conditioner.
Here’s a great leather conditioner that you can use:
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner
Leather Honey Leather Conditioner can help rejuvenate your dried out leather and also protect your new leather shoes. This powerful conditioner is 100% odorless, so it doesn’t leave out a nasty scent on your shoes. It also gives your shoes water-repellent properties, making it easy to walk even under the rain.
This product is suitable for all types and colors of leather, especially your white Vans. In addition to that, you can also use this multi-purpose conditioner on other things like upholstery, motorcycle leather, bootes, purses, jackets, and many more!
Keeping Your White Vans Clean
Let’s be honest, your white Vans are indeed vulnerable to mud, dirt, and all sorts of stains. But don’t be bothered about getting your shoes dirty because of all the tips and tricks that we have above!
We made sure that you can use common household items in times of stained white Vans emergencies so you can easily clean your shoes. While it may be hard to keep your white shoes white, just remember to follow the procedures that we have above and you’re all good.
If you have any other cleaning techniques when it comes to white Vans, let us know in the comments below and we’ll surely add them to our list!